Change, as we all well know, is not easy and it is not cheap. Our Viral Lives may have just started as an idea, but we’re ready to rapidly expand by the middle of 2015, if we can secure two important things: 1) fiscal sponsorship & 2) outside grant or sponsorship money. The first allows us to be affiliated with a 501(c)(3) organization, making us eligible for a lot more grants & for individual donors to create donations that could be written off on their taxes. The second would allow us to expand considerably. This budget and potential sponsorship avenues are highlighted at Our Viral Lives Budget Plan.
Among the exciting things this money would allow us to do would be:
- Get unlimited web storage and access to social monitoring tools. As we expand, especially as we include video, these are vitally important.
- Purchase a high quality camera that works both for shooting images and for video that will become a key component of this archive.
- Hire an individual to provide graphic design and video editing support that I am unable to personally provide. Higher-quality videos are an important component of maintaining a lasting archive.
- To facilitate launch events in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Montreal & an extended research, development, and documentation program in Johannesburg and Cape Town, South Africa.
- To fund writers and artists who contribute to this site. Writing on HIV/AIDS and sexuality is already difficult, so providing some compensation is only fair.
- To pay a living wage for myself. I want to devote 40 hours per week to this project over the next year, so it’s important that I make a sustainable income in New York City.
- Finally, to aid in other incidentals like conference registration fees, source literature, business cards and art entrance/performance fees.
The plan may be ambitious, but playing it safe is no longer an option when it comes to dealing with the ongoing pandemic we’re faced with. I truly believe these goals and budgeting can help make a huge impact, and fast, so if you’re aware of anyone else who might take an interesting in those project, don’t hesitate to contact me on the menu page of this site.